Lok Sabha passes Taxation Laws (Second Amendment) Bill, 2016
The Lok Sabha has passed the Taxation Laws(Second Amendment) Bill, 2016 to amend the Income Tax Act, 1961 and Finance Act, 2016 on 29 November 2016. The Bill was introduced in Lok Sabha on 28 November 2016.
- It imposes a higher rate of tax and penalty in respect of undisclosed incomes.
- The Bill proposes to introduce the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan (PMGK) Yojana, 2016.
Environment Ministry to seek ‘International Year of Himalayas’
After a successful session on Himalayas at the Conference of the Parties (CoP 22), the Environment Ministry will now start preparing a proposal to be sent to the U.N. General Assembly requesting it to declare a year as the International Year of Himalayas and to declare a day in a year as the International Himalaya Day.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Venkaiah Naidu has inaugurated a multimedia exhibition on the theme of ‘Aazadi 70 Saal, Yaad Karo Kurbani’ to commemorate 70 years of India’s Independence and its depiction through films.
- The multimedia exhibition has been organised by National Film Archives of India, NFAI at the International Film Festival of India, IFFI in Goa.
The World Philosophy Day is observed globally on the third Thursday of November every year.
- This year, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) organised the special events.
- The World Philosophy Day was introduced in 2002 by UNESCO to encourage the world to share their philosophical heritage and open their minds to new ideas.
World Toilet Day: 19 November
World Toilet Day is observed on 19 November every year with an aim to motivate millions across the world on issues of sanitation.
- The theme for 2016 World Toilet Day is ‘toilets and jobs’.
- The theme, toilets and jobs, focuses on how sanitation or the lack of it can impact livelihoods of people.
Israel President arrives in Mumbai on 6-day visit to India
Israel President Reuven Rivlin arrived in Mumbai on November 14th on a six-day visit to India to further strengthen bilateral ties. He will meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
- The Israeli leader will join President Pranab Mukherjee in opening an agro-tech conference in Chandigarh.
On 14th November, Children’s Day is celebrated every year to mark the birth anniversary of our first Prime Minister Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Pandit Nehru had a great love for children. He wanted to be among them, talk to them and play with them. The children also loved and respected him and called him CHACHA NEHRU
Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Bhutan's Economic Affairs Minister Tengye Lyonpo Lekey Dorji signed the agreement in New Delhi.
- The first agreement on trade and commerce between both countries was signed in 1972.
World Pneumonia Day is observed across the world on 12 November. The day is annually observed to raise awareness about pneumonia, the world’s leading killer of children under the age of five; promote interventions to protect against, prevent and treat pneumonia; and generate action to combat pneumonia.
- This year theme is, "Keep the Promise, Stop Pneumonia Now".