The nation pays homage to Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi on his 69th death anniversary today (30 January 2017).
- He was assassinated on this day in 1948. Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on the occasion.
Aadhaar number printed on paper perfectly valid: Centre
A printout of the downloaded Aadhaar card, even in black and white form, is as valid as the original card and there is no concept such as smart or plastic card.
Today i.e., 29th January 2017 is National Immunization Day.
President Pranab Mukherjee has launched the countrywide programme for 2017 by administering polio drops to children aged below five years at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The programme will cover around 17 crore children aged under five years in an effort to maintain the country's polio-free status.
Cyber security is a growing concern. Data Privacy Day is observed every January 28 as a reminder to protect and safeguard private data.
- Data Privacy Day was first initiated by the Council in Europe in 2007.
- The purpose of Data Privacy Day is to raise awareness and promote privacy and data protection best practices.
- It is currently observed in the United States, Canada, India and 47 European countries.
India’s 68th Republic Day was celebrated on January 26 with a display of military strength and cultural diversity in the presence of the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan as the chief guest.
- The elite Black Cat commandos of the National Security Guards (NSG) and the indigenously built Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) made their debut at the parade.
- A 149-member marching contingent from the United Arab Emirates (UAE), led by a band of 35 musicians, was unique to this year’s parade. Last year, a French contingent marched on Rajpath, the first by a foreign Army.
The Constituent Assembly adopted the Constitution on January 26, 1950, a date specially chosen to coincide with the anniversary of 'Purna Swaraj Diwas' is celebrated as Republic day.
- This was the day the Indian Independence Act was consequently repealed and India was established as a democratic republic, no longer a dominion of the British Crown.
- The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, is the chief guest at this year's Republic Day parade.
Padma Awards 2017:
The government announced Padma awards to citizens of the country in recognition of their distinguished contribution in various spheres.