Daily Current affairs: Important days
November 19 – National Integration Day
- National Integration Day is observed on 19 November all over India.
- It is celebrated as the birth anniversary of the first woman Prime Minister of the India, Indira Gandhi.
- The importance of national integration in any state is indisputably obvious because it helps stabilize the democracy, increase the economic growth, develop the nation and give people all vital rights and duties.
November 19 – World Toilet Day
- In 2013, the United Nations General Assembly officially designated November 19 as World Toilet Day. World Toilet Day is coordinated by UN-Water in collaboration with governments and partners. Previously, World Toilet Day was established by the World Toilet Organization in 2001.
- World Toilet Day is a day to raise awareness and inspire action to tackle the global sanitation crisis – a topic often neglected and shrouded in taboos.
- 2018 Theme: When Nature Calls.
November 19 – Birthday of Rani Lakshmibai of Jhansi
- November 19 is the birth anniversary of Rani Lakshmibai
- Rani Lakshmibai, one of the warriors of India’s struggle for Independence, was born as Manikarnika Tambe in 1828 in Varanasi.
- In March 1854, Rani of Jhansi was granted an annual pension of 60,000 and was ordered to leave the Jhansi fort. She was firm on the decision not to give up the dominion of Jhansi to the British. She died on June 17, 1958, martyring her life for India’s freedom.
Daily Current affairs: President Visits
President Kovind on 2-Nation visit to Vietnam and Australia
- President Ram Nath Kovind is on 2 nation visit to Vietnam and Australia. He reached Da Nang in Vietnam on the first leg of his two-nation visit. Mr. Kovind is being accompanied by a high-level delegation.
- On the second leg of his visit, Mr Kovind will reach Australia. He will meet the Australian leadership and address students of Melbourne University.
Daily Current affairs: States
Kerala introduces new open online learning programme: ‘KOOL’
- The Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education (KITE) has rolled out– KOOL, its Online Open Learning training platform. The platform can be used to train teachers, students and the general public.
- With the state’s schools going Hi-Tech, requiring teachers and students to be trained on different domains simultaneously, it was decided to launch KOOL. KOOL has been designed in a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) model.
Daily Current affairs: International
Morocco unveils Africa’s first ever high speed train line
- French President Emmanuel Macron and Morocco’s King Mohammed VI have inaugurated Morocco’s first high-speed rail line, the first ever such line in Africa.
- The $2 billion project was launched in September 2011 by the king and Nicolas Sarkozy, then president of France.
- Known as the LGV, it will connect the economic hubs of Tangier and Casablanca in 2 hours 10 minutes at a speed of up to 320 kph (199 mph) instead of almost 5 hours on a regular train.
Daily Current affairs: Science and Technology
0.7m GROWTH-India telescope located in Ladakh
- The 0.7 m GROWTH-India telescope at the Indian Astronomical Observatory located in Hanle, Ladakh, has made its first science observation which is a follow-up study of a nova explosion.
- The GROWTH-India telescope is part of a multi-country collaborative initiative – known as the Global Relay of Observatories Watching Transients Happen (GROWTH) – to observe transient events in the universe.
- The fully robotic telescope is designed to capture cosmic events occurring over relatively shorter periods of the cosmological timescale: years, days and even hours.
- Universities and research institutes from the US, the UK, Japan, India, Germany, Taiwan and Israel are part of the initiative.
Daily Current affairs: Banking
Karnataka bank launches CASA campaign ‘KBL SB – TASC’
- Karnataka Bank has launched a special campaign for opening current account and savings accounts (CASA). The campaign will remain in force for a period of three-and-a-half months from November 15 to February 28.
- It has been introduced as introduced as a new SB scheme ‘KBL SB – TASC’ a specialized product for Trusts/Associates/Societies/Clubs. Bank intends to open more than 4.18 lakh Current & Savings accounts by the active involvement of its 8000 plus workforce in all the 823 branches across India.
Daily Current affairs: Summits/Excercises
INDO-Russian joint exercise INDRA 2018 held in Jhansi
- The joint military exercise between India and Russia EXERCISE INDRA 2018 on combating insurgency under the aegis of United Nations (UN) was conducted at Babina Military Station in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh.
- The aim of the exercise is to practice joint planning and conduct to enhance interoperability of the two Armies in the peacekeeping/enforcement environment under the aegis of the UN. This is the tenth series of Exercise INDRA.
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) 2018 summit held in Papua New Guinea
- The 2018 Apec summit was held recently held in Papua New Guinea.
- It ended with no joint statement from the leaders – a first in Apec history – and with the fight for dominance in the Pacific region between Australia, the US and Japan on one side and China on the other, coming out into the open.
- The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) is a regional economic forum established in 1989 to leverage the growing interdependence of the Asia-Pacific. APEC has 21 members.
Global Digital Content Market (GDCM) 2018 has started in New Delhi
- Global Digital Content Market (GDCM) 2018 has started in New Delhi with focus on ‘Asia Pacific region’.
- The 2-day conference will feature sessions on music, film, broadcasting and publishing, as well as collective management, emerging models and the implications for the market and policy makers.
- It is being organized by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
Daily Current affairs: Awards
Ustad Amjad Ali Khan presented lifetime achievement award in Delhi
- One of India’s greatest sarod masters, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, was presented the ‘Sumitra Charat Ram Award for Lifetime Achievement’ at the Kamani Auditorium, New Delhi, for his “immense contribution to the enrichment and promotion of the Indian classical music”.
- The award was presented to him by former diplomat Lalit Mansingh. Best known for his clear and fast ‘ekhara taans’, Khan was born in 1945 in Gwalior.
- He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan (in 2001) and is among the tallest Indian classical musicians.
Daily Current affairs: Appointments
UIDAI CEO Ajay Bhushan Pandey appointed new Revenue secretary
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet appointed Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) CEO Ajay Bhushan Pandey as the new revenue secretary.
- He will succeed current Finance and Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia.
- Mr Adhia is retiring on November 30. Mr Pandey will continue to hold the charge as the CEO of UIDAI and GSTN Chairman until further orders.
Jalaj Srivastava appointed new IWAI chairman
- Jalaj Srivastava, a 1984 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, has been appointed the chairman of the Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI).
- The IWAI comes under the Union Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways, currently headed by Nitin Gadkari. Srivastava is presently working as Additional Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture.
Daily Current affairs: Obituaries
Asia’s 1st Woman Neurosurgeon TS Kanaka passes away
- Dr. TS Kanaka, the continent’s first woman neurosurgeon, passed away after a brief illness at the age of 86. She was the third woman neurosurgeon in the whole world.
- Born on March 31, 1932, and raised in Chennai, she obtained her MBBS degree in December 1954, and Master of Surgery in Neurosurgery in March 1968.