PM Narendra Modi Releases special commemorative postage in 350th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh in Patna
Prime Minister Modi released special commemorative stamps on Prakash Parv in 350th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh in Patna on 5 January 2017.
- ii. Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal, Union Minsters Ravi Shankar Prasad Ram Vilas Paswan and Harsimrat Kaur were present on this occasion.
- So far, leading countries have come forward to be associated with development of 15 smart cities.
- These include: United States Trade Development Agency (USTDA) –Visakhapatnam, Ajmer and Allahabad, UK-Pune, Amaravati(Andhra Pradesh) and Indore, France-Chandigarh, Puducherry and Nagpur and Germany –Bhubaneswar, Coimbatore and Kochi.
The Telecom Commission has given approval to the second phase of BharatNet project that seeks to provide broadband connectivity to 1.5 lakh gram panchayats at an estimated cost of Rs. 27,000 crore.
- The first phase entailed a cost of Rs. 18,000 crore and for the second phase the estimates are likely to be in ballpark range of Rs. 27,000 crore.
- to cut the country’s carbon footprint, the ministries want to raise the use of gas in its energy mix to 15% in three to four years from 6.5% now. For this to happen, they are demanding zero import tax on LNG.
- LNG imports, which account for 44% of gas use in the country, are duty free only if shipped in for the power sector.
- Animal rights bodies have hailed the decision by the Centre to ban such imports, saying that the country is now emulating other nations across the world in adopting “cruelty-free” alternatives to exotic skins.
- Voice messages of candidates, even if they were received from other states, would be added to the expenditure of the candidate.
A chink in the colonial-era Indian Penal Code (IPC) condoning sexual intercourse and exploitation of a 15-year-old child ‘wife’ has been brought to the Supreme Court’s attention.
- An exception to Section 375 (rape) in the IPC allows a man to go scot-free despite having sex with his 15-year-old ‘wife’.
- This exception ensures that he will not be charged with rape even though child marriage is a crime.
- Nobel Peace laureate Kailash Satyarthi, through his organisation Bachpan Bachao Andolan, appealed to the Supreme Court on Thursday for help to end this “statutorily-backed” crime against children.
- According to the statistics available for sex ratio, CM said that out of 5,25,278 children born in the state from January to December 2016, there were 2,76,414 boys and 2,48,864 girls and the sex ratio at birth touched the mark of 900.
- The system features integrated functions of LNG loading and storage facilities, regasification and power generation in a single unit.
- The smallest unit starts at 10MW capacity, while the largest accommodates an 800MW power plant.
- The missions, known as Lucy and Psyche, were chosen from five finalists and will proceed to mission formulation, with the goal of launching in 2021 and 2023, respectively.
Once branded a Khalistan terrorist with alleged links to Naxals and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, former Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) detenu Amarjeet Sohi will be welcomed officially in India now as a privileged guest next week to attend the Vibrant Gujarat summit as Canada’s Infrastructure and Communities Minister.
- Mr. Sohi will lead a delegation to the bi-annual investors summit in Gandhinagar.
- Mr. Sohi’s visit will be one of a series of ministerial trips ahead of an expected visit by Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau sometime in March.
the third annual Harvard U.S.-India Conference will be held on January 7 and 8 in Mumbai.
- The meet is managed by a team comprising students from Harvard College as well as other colleges in the United States and India.
- The conference will have panels which will enable students to participate in discussions about critical issues as well as essay competitions, case competitions, and networking events.
Indian-American Raj Shah has been named deputy assistant to the President and deputy communication director and research director in the incoming Donald Trump administration.
- Mr. Shah has been leading the Opposition research for the Republican National Committee (RNC) for the last two years and worked closely with Reince Preiubs, the incoming White House Chief of Staff.
The Rockefeller Foundation, one of the largest and most influential philanthropies in the United States, was to name Rajiv J. Shah, a trustee, as president.
- He was to succeed Judith Rodin, who has been holding the post for 12 years.
- Mr. Shah is the youngest person and the first Indian-American to lead the Rockefeller Foundation.