United Nation Recognizes 2017 as Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development
The United Nations 70th General Assembly has recognised the year 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
- This recognizes the importance of international tourism and particularly of the designation of an international year of sustainable tourism for development, in fostering better understanding among peoples everywhere, in leading to a greater awareness of the rich heritage of various civilizations and in bringing about a better appreciation of the inherent values of different cultures, thereby contributing to the strengthening of peace in the world.
- With notification of this service the skill ecosystem is expected to get strengthened and modernised in line with the current scientific and industrial development in the country.
- The Agreement would provide a legal framework for sharing of information and intelligence between the Customs authorities of the two countries and help in the proper application of Customs laws, prevention and investigation of Customs offences and the facilitation of legitimate trade.
- The helpline provides a single point of contact to handloom weavers across the country for addressing queries and providing guidance.
- This helpline can be accessed by dialing the toll free number 1800-208-9988.
- The toolkit has been jointly prepared by Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- This toolkit will be a ready reckoner for police officials across the country in dealing with IP crimes, specifically Trade Marks counterfeiting and Copyrights piracy.
- It is because the government already provides benefits under the Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme (MSIPS) to boost electronic manufacturing in the country.
- The scheme provides financial incentives to offset disability and attract investments in the electronics hardware segment.
EC limits cash expense per candidate at Rs 20-28 lakh for Assembly polls
The Election Commission of India has issued a limitation for campaign expense per candidate.
- In Goa and Manipur, the limit on election expenses per candidate is Rs 20 lakh.
- In Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand the election expenses limit per candidate is Rs 28 lakh.
Two-day Assam Biotech Conclave to begins in Guwahati
The two day Assam Biotech Conclave began today in Guwahati.
- This is organized by Guwahati Biotech Park in association with industry body FINER. The conclave will create business and partnering opportunities for its stakeholders and to showcase the facilities and opportunities offered by Guwahati Biotech Park.
Telangana, Assam join Uday Discom debt scheme
Telangana and Assam signed MoUs for being a part of the Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojna in a bid to better performance of state run power distribution companies taking the total number of states covered under the scheme to 20.
- An overall net benefit of approximately ₹6,116 crore to Telangana and ₹1,663 crore to Assam will come from joining the scheme.
- This reward is about 17 times more than the prize money given out with the Nobel award, which is about Rs 5.96 crore (Swedish kronor 8 million).
- No other state government in India has perhaps made such a grand offer to its scientists.
Yes Bank ties-up with Bajaj Electricals for vendor financing using blockchain
Private lender Yes Bank has entered into a tie-up with Bajaj Electricals for vendor financing using blockchain solution, and announced to use the technology more aggressively as it saves over 70 per cent in cost.
- As part of the tie-up, the bank has completely digitalised its processes and blockchain solutions can be implemented.
Google introduces tools for small businesses in India
Google India has created two tools My Business and Digital Unlocked for the small and medium businesses in India,that would help to create an online presence, besides a digital training programme.
- It is an India first tool which introduced this year.
- Google My Business would help small businesses set up website from their mobile devices.
- Named as the mesentery, the organ connects the intestine to the abdomen and had for hundreds of years been considered a fragmented structure made up of multiple separate parts.
- Mesentery is a fold of the peritoneum which attaches the stomach, small intestine, pancreas, spleen, and other organs to the posterior wall of the abdomen.
Sri Lanka panel calls for inclusion of foreign judges
A civil society panel appointed by Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has endorsed the UNHRC call for including international judges to probe war crimes allegations.
- The task force report recommends the setting up of a special court and office of special counsel; the court shall ensure that there will be a majority of national judges and at least one international judge on every bench.
RBI appoints Surekha Marandi as Executive Director
The Reserve Bank of India has appointed Surekha Marandi as its Executive Director (ED) in place of U S Paliwal, who retired on December 31, 2016.
- Marandi will look after Consumer Education and Protection Department, Financial Inclusion and Development Department, and Secretary's Department.
Jovenel Moise elected as the President of Haiti
Jovenel Moise has been elected as the President of Haiti.
- The electoral tribunal officially declared the winner on 3 January 2017.
- Jovenel Moise has been declared the winner of Haiti's November 20 presidential election, ending a protracted electoral process that has paralysed the Caribbean country's politics for more than a year.
Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar sworn-in as 44th Chief Justice of India
Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar has been sworn-in as the 44th Chief Justice of India. President Pranab Mukherjee administered the oath of office and secrecy to Justice Khehar at a function in Rashtrapati Bhawan on 4 January 2017.
- He replaced Justice TS Thakur whose tenure ended.
- Justice Khehar's tenure will be till 27 August 2017.
IBM India names Karan Bajwa as MD
Technology giant IBM has appointed Karan Bajwa Managing Director of its India operations.
- He succeeds Vanitha Narayana, who has been elevated as Chairman of IBM India.
- Bajwa joined IBM last year as Executive for Strategy and Transformation in the Asia—Pacific region. Previously, he was Microsoft India’s managing director. He was associated with IBM’s networking business and was based in Singapore in 2001—05.
Gujarat into Ranji Trophy final
Jharkhand's dream of reaching their maiden Ranji Trophy final dashed by India seamer Jasprit Bumrah's devastating spell, who guided his Gujarat side to their second final in 66 years, beating the first-timers by 123 runs.
- Gujarat's only other final came in 1950-51, when they lost to Holkar, in the tournament's 83-year history.
Mahindra Singh Dhoni steps down as captain of T-20 & ODI format of cricket
MS Dhoni has stepped down as the captain of India's limited-overs sides.
- He is the first captain win all three major titles conducted by ICC i.e., T20 World cup in 2007, ODI world cup in 2011 and Champions Trophy in 2013.
India win record 4th straight SAFF Women's Championship title
India's women's football team defeated Bangladesh 3-1 in Siliguri to win the 2016 South Asian Football Federation Women's Championship for the fourth consecutive time.
- Dangmei Grace opened the scoring for India, with Sasmita Malik and Indumathi Kathiresan scoring second-half goals for the hosts.
- India have won all editions of the eight-nation tournament, which started in 2010.