PM announces number of measures for welfare of farmers, small traders, women & senior citizens
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced two housing schemes, tax incentives for small traders, interest rebate for farmers and monetary assistance for pregnant women.
Decide on safety sealing in six months: HC to Centre
- The court passed the directive while hearing a public interest litigation (PIL). The PIL is about pilferage of cosmetics, child care, healthcare and hygiene products.
BJP forms Arunachal pradesh govt.
In a dramatic development, the BJP formed a government in Arunachal Pradesh on Saturday after 33 MLAs of People’s Party of Arunachal, led by Chief Minister Pema Khandu, joined it.
- Mr. Khandu joined the BJP two days after he was suspended by the PPA, which triggered another round of political manoeuvring.
- Overall, Arunachal Pradesh becomes 10th BJP-ruled State and 14th with BJP alliances.
UNSC endorses Syria ceasefire brokered by Russia, Turkey
The United Nations SecurityCouncil on December 31 welcomed a ceasefire in the Syrian civil war.
- A resolution welcoming the ceasefire, the third truce this year seeking to end nearly six years of war, was adopted unanimously by the 15-member Council.
- The deal, brokered by Russia and Turkey, which back opposing sides, reduced violence, but firefights, air strikes and shelling went on in some areas.
RBI sets up counters for NRI deposits
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has opened a new window for non-resident Indian and citizens who were staying abroad since November 8 to deposit the demonetised ₹1,000 and ₹ 500 currency notes.
- Resident Indian citizens who were abroad during November 9, 2016 to December 30, 2016 can avail this facility upto March 31, 2017.
- Non Resident Indian citizens who were abroad during November 9, 2016 to December 30, 2016 can avail this facility upto June 30, 2017.
Patanjali among most disruptive FMCG forces of 2016: ASSOCHAM-TechSci study
Patanjali Ayurved, the fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) venture promoted by yoga guru Ramdev, was the biggest disruptive force in India’s FMCG market, according to a report.
- Patanjali Ayurved has turned out to be the most disruptive force in the Indian FMCG market...it witnessed a whopping annual growth of 146% in fiscal year 2016 grossing a turnover of $769 million.
BoB unveils agriculture credit scheme in Rajasthan
State-run Bank of Baroda said it has introduced an agricultural investment credit for the farmers of Rajasthan.
- The first loan has been disbursed in Sri Ganganagar.
- Under the scheme, farmers can avail of loan from the bank’s branches for construction of farm ponds, installation of solar pumps, installation of micro irrigation, and for any other viable agriculture and allied activities.
- Bank will help farmers in doubling their income by the year 2022.
Anil Baijal takes over as new Lt Governor of Delhi:
- His appointment came after Najeeb Jung’s sudden resignation from the post.
Sasikala takes over as AIADMK general secretary
V.K. Sasikala, close aide of former Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, formally took over as the general secretary of the AIADMK.
- She became the second woman leader to lead the party after Jayalalithaa.
New Army, Air Force Chiefs assume charge
The Indian Army and the Indian Air Force got new chiefs on December 31, amidst raging controversy over the appointment of the new Army chief while ignoring the convention of appointing the senior-most Army commander.
- General Bipin Rawat, who was selected ignoring the seniority of Lt. Gen. Praveen Bakshi and Lt. Gen. P.M. Hariz, took over as the 27th Chief of the Army Staff from General Dalbir Singh.
- Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa took over as the 25th Chief of the Air Staff at a ceremony held at the Air Headquarters (Vayu Bhawan).
British-Indian Professor Shankar Balasubramanian Receives Knighthood
Shankar Balasubramanian, an Indian- origin British professor of chemistry and DNA expert at Cambridge University, has received a Knighthood along with Olympic stars Andy Murray and Mo Farah among others by Queen Elizabeth II for their contributions.
- Balasubramanian, 50, Herchel Smith Professor of Medicinal Chemistry at Cambridge University, has been recognised for his work as a co-inventor of Next Generation DNA sequencing, described as the most transformational advance in biology and medicine for decades.
Justice Mian Saqib Nisar appointed as Chief Justice of Pak
Justice Mian Saqib Nisar has taken oath as the 25th Chief Justice of Pakistan. The oath was administered by the country's President Mamnoon Hussain at the President House.
- The event was attended by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and other dignitaries.
- Justice Nisar has replaced Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali who retired after serving as Chief Justice for 15 since his appointment in September 2015.
Imtiaz Ahmed passed away
Former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batsman and captain Imtiaz Ahmed, who played in the nation’s first Test in 1952 and was its oldest living Test cricketer, passed away
Andy Murray and Mo Farah received knighthood
Andy Murray received a knighthood in Queen Elizabeth II’s New Year’s Honours List, recognition for winning his second Wimbledon and Olympic titles on his way to topping the rankings. Joining Murray was Mo Farah, who retained his 5,000 and 10,000m titles at the Summer Olympics.
- Lee Pearson, who won his 11th Paralympic gold in equestrian in Rio.